Shipping & Delivery - Inland Transit Insurance
Don't leave it to chance.
Know your item is covered in transit with NTI Shipping & Delivery Insurance.
Backed by Australia’s largest transport and logistics specialist, NTI Shipping & Delivery Insurance lets you feel safe in the knowledge that if something goes wrong, we’ve got it covered.
Policies start from just $15 and come with full Accidental Damage Cover included.
Do you need to make a claim against your Shipping & Delivery policy?
Our friendly team are on standby waiting to assist. Simply lodge your claim online or you can give us a call, send us a text or an email - the choice is yours.
Shipping & Delivery Insurance - Frequently Asked Questions
It's cover for goods accidentally lost or damaged during an insured single transit within Australia*. We've got your insured goods covered – whether it's carried by road, rail, boat or air.
*including Tasmania & Australian external territories (excluding Antarctic territories). We do not cover any import and/or export.
Shipping & Delivery Insurance is intended for
- owners of cargo/goods, or
- senders/sellers, or
who have an insurable interest in on those items whilst being transported within Australia.
We do not cover / insure:
- Refrigerated and/or temperature sensitive or controlled goods (including foodstuffs, pharmaceuticals, medicines, vaccines and veterinary products) and/or live/living Goods including plants and flowers, animals of any description and domestic pets;
- Fragile goods, including: stone slabs/benchtops; glass panels/panes/plates; scientific/laboratory/medical machines and instruments, including X-ray, imaging and diagnostic machines;
- Audio/visual/data recordings;
- Works of art, paintings, antiques;
- Precious metals and stones, jewellery, money (which means any coin or banknote), bullion, cheques, money orders, credit or other card sales vouchers, securities, shares, bonds, deeds, bills of exchange, or any documents that represent money or title;
- Personally carried, accompanied or checked in luggage/goods;
- Radioactive or explosive goods, weapons, ammunition;
- Cigarettes or tobacco products;
- Relocatable/transportable buildings (not kit form or flat pack)
- Over dimensional loads;
- Buses or coaches;
- Aircraft, aircraft parts or components;
- Cranes & hoists
- Goods which are banned, prohibited or otherwise excluded by any law, regulation or statute
- Any other described as excluded goods on Your Policy Schedule
Please note there is no cover for the above provided under this Policy.
The full terms, conditions, limits and exclusions are shown in the product disclosure statement (PDS).
We provide a comprehensive cover for peace of mind.
Not all Single Transit Insurance policies are the same. Some restrict cover to certain circumstances.
This policy provides full accidental damage cover and includes loss or damage to your insured goods resulting from a deliberate act of a third party or act of terrorism during insured transit.
Please refer to your policy schedule. The full terms, conditions, limits and exclusions are shown in the product disclosure statement (PDS).
Be careful not to assume your goods are automatically covered during transit.
Senders / sellers / suppliers of goods aren’t necessarily obligated to cover goods on a delivery. They may leave it to the receiver / buyer of goods to work it out.
Equally, not all transporters cover the goods they carry.
Some have policies limited to defined events but may exclude damage if goods are accidentally dropped whilst being unloaded.
Other transporters may have trading terms which specifically exclude damage cover during transit.
This can get complicated – especially when there are multiple modes of transport involved – which in most cases you won’t even be aware of.
Take the hassle and guesswork out – look after your goods with Shipping and Delivery Insurance.
For Insured Goods (except motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailer, trailered boat and mobile machinery)
a) When the goods are first moved for the purpose of being loaded onto the conveyance for transit a to the contracted destination,
b) And continues during the ordinary course of transit
For Motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailer, trailered Boat and mobile machinery (tracked or wheeled)
when the motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailer or trailered Boat is first moved within 100 meters of the Carrying Conveyance for the purpose of immediately loading it onto the Conveying Vehicle for the Insured Transit;
For all other insured goods (except motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailered Boat and mobile machinery)
- on completion of unloading and delivery of the Goods from the Conveyance into or at the contracted destination or 30 days after the Transport Operator is scheduled to deliver the Goods to the contracted destination, whichever shall first occur
- on completion of unloading of the Goods from the Conveyance into or at the final warehouse or place of storage whether prior to or at the contracted destination, which You or Your employees elect to use either for storage (other than in the ordinary course of transit) or for allocation or distribution; or
- when You, Your employees or agents elect to use any Conveyance or Shipping Container for storage other than in the ordinary course of transit; f. on the expiry of seventy two (72) hours after unloading from the final Conveyance but before delivery in to the final warehouse.
For Motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailer, trailered Boat and mobile machinery (tracked or wheeled)
When the motor vehicle, motorcycle, caravan, trailer or trailered boat is last moved at the destination in connection with the insured transit but within 100 metres of the carrying conveyance.
whichever shall first occur
No, you must purchase cover before transit commences
$50,000 AUD is the maximum value insurable, including all charges like GST, duties, freight costs – subject to the application of any excess.
- The value of goods declared reflects their full replacement or invoice value in its current condition (including all charges like GST, duties, freight costs); otherwise you might be out of pocket in the event of a claim.
- Round up declared value to the nearest dollar
Value declared is referred to as ‘sum insured’ in your policy documents
Special conditions apply to different types of goods. Please refer to the ‘HOW MUCH WE WILL PAY’ section of the PDS.
The full terms, conditions, limits & exclusions are shown in the Product Disclosure Statement.
We provide cover Australia wide only (including Tasmania & Australian external territories, but excluding Antarctic territories).
We do not cover any import and/or export.
If you need cover for import/export, longer journeys or even an annual policy, more appropriate covers may be available from Marine Protects’ other policies.
Please note – these are subject to underwriting guidelines and exclusions.
We recommend seeking expert advice. If you already have an insurance broker acting on your behalf, please give them a call. Otherwise, find your nearest insurance broker via www.needabroker.com.au.
A cooling off period applies. You have 21 days to consider this policy to be sure you have the cover you require.
There are terms and conditions. If the transit has commenced, the policy cannot be cancelled.
Terms and Conditions can be found in the Product Disclosure Statement.
An excess may apply and will be shown on your policy schedule.
When you make a claim under this policy, you may be asked to pay an excess. This is the amount you contribute towards the cost of your claim.
The claim must be made by the policy holder, that is, the person who has purchased the insurance policy.
Where is a claim is payable, we will only pay the policy holder.
An excess may apply and will be deducted from any payments made.
Subject to the Sum Insured, We will pay one or more of the following ways;
- the invoice value plus the original freight cost
- the cost of repairing or reinstating the Goods to a condition equal to but no better or more extensive than its condition immediately prior to the loss or damage
- the cost of replacing the Goods with similar Goods of the same age and condition, or as near as possible to that age or condition plus the original freight cost
Where We provide settlement to replace Your Goods, whether by cash settlement or otherwise, We reserve the right to deduct the Salvage Value or retain the damaged Cargo or the proceeds from its sale or disposal
Policy excesses, other limits and conditions may apply. Please refer to the full terms, conditions, limits & exclusions of the product disclosure statement (PDS).
You are able to make a claim with us at your preference in the following ways;
c) Telephone us.
For further details on how to claim, click Claims for Shipping & Delivery Insurance
By providing the documentation listed below, but not limited to, you will avoid any unnecessary delays to your claim:
- Proof of purchase invoice and/or receipt of purchase
- Copy of the consignment note / transport document and invoice/s. Transit documents may include, but are but not limited to, a postage or lodgement receipt, tracking sticker found on certain prepaid satchels, and envelopes.
- Photo(s) of the damaged good(s)
- If you are able to provide a photo of your goods prior to the transit, this may help speed up the process of your claim.
We encourage you to lodge your claim with us as soon as possible and we endeavour to investigate all claims efficiently and effectively. Because circumstances vary, it may take some time to reach a resolution, but we will keep you informed regarding the progress of your claim..
Please refer to the full terms, conditions, limits & exclusions as shown in the product disclosure statement (PDS).
Examples of where we may not pay a claim include, but are not limited to;
- where you are unable to provide us with proof that the transit occurred;
- claims for any goods / items illegally procured or to be used for illegal purposes;
- claims for Dangerous goods;
- if your goods are also covered by a third party insurance provider and you have already filed a claim with them.
Examples of how to prove transit occurred but are not limited to;
- A postage or lodgement receipt,
- Tracking sticker found on certain prepaid satchels,
- Envelopes or signed consignment document
- Freight Invoice
At NTI Limited (NTI), protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information is very important to us and is fundamental to the way we serve you.
When you give your personal information to us it is a serious responsibility. We are committed to protecting your personal information and giving you a choice in who can use your personal information and how it may be used.